Monday, October 28, 2019

Hummingbird Maxi | Simplicity 8635 & McCall's 7834

Hello, Friends! I'm back with my last sleeveless garment of the season lol It's about that time. Temperatures are consistently in the LOW 50's in the morning and I have my heater on when I go to bed at night haha.


I made this dress last month as a #MinervaMaker. You can learn more about the fabric when my post gets posted on Minerva.com in the new year. Today I want to talk about this successful pattern mashup!


This dress is a combination of the bodice of Simplicity 8635, View C, and the skirt of McCall's 7834, also View C. I cut the 14 on each pattern.


The fabric is from Minerva.com like I said above. It is the Lady McElroy Cotton Lawn Hummingbird in the Grey colorway. I'll add a link here to that post on the new Minerva site when they post it.



I did have to make a couple of adjustments to make sure I was able to get into this dress. I cut the top layer of the skirt in 2 pieces instead of on the fold so that I could add a zipper in the center back of it. I just did a basic centered zipper. I didn't feel the need to take the extra step to make it invisible.


I also added the pockets from the Simplicity pattern into the McCall's skirt because... what's a dress without pockets?! lol Definitely one of the best decisions.


One of the other changes I made with this dress is a very small deviation from the bodice instructions. The instructions say to interface the entire bodice but I chose to interface the lining instead. The quality of interfacing that I had on hand wasn't that great and it was making the fabric not look very smooth.


I LOOOOVVVEEE the lace-up back detail! And I love the volume of the 3-tier skirt and the way it moves as I walk around... SWAN about, rather lool.


The only change I would make if I made this bodice again would be to do a swayback adjustment on the back side pieces. I didn't think about it because most of the back is open, but you can see where it's needed.


Let me know what you think down in the comments! Promise, the next piece you see is gonna be Fall appropriate LOL I'm all caught up now!


Be back soon!

xoxo,
Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :-D
I read each one and I do my best to respond to each of them personally :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...