Friday, August 30, 2019

Mommy's Late Kimono | Simplicity 1108

Hello friends! I'm back with some selfless sewing!

Over a year ago, my mom was looking through my stash and pointed out a piece of fabric and told me she wanted a kimono out of it. I said "okay" and proceeded to not take any steps to make said kimono lol

Well, this year I decided I should be a better daughter and resolved to make her the kimono of her dreams.



The pattern I used was Simplicity 1108, View C, in the size XXL. 


The fabric is silk that my cousin sent me from Kuwait. I love how unique the pattern is.


I constructed the kimono using all french seams! I love how clean it looks and this fabric is so delicate, it needed that.



To finish the hems, I used wonder tape and white bias binding. What I did was put wonder tape on the inside of one side of the bias tape, stuck the raw edges of the kimono to the wonder tape and then closed the bias tape on the raw edge like a sandwich. Then I edge-stitched the bias tape. It was an awesome "no-hassle" way to finish it, and I was able to avoid any pulling and stretching!


If you want to see a pictorial of that process, you can check my Instagram in the WIPs highlights of my profile.


The only modification I made to the pattern is the length. I didn't have the full fabric requirement, but I made it as long as the fabric would allow.



That's all folks! Let me know what you think! My mom loves it and she got tons of compliments when she wore it to church lol


See you next week with another post!

xoxo,
Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :-D
I read each one and I do my best to respond to each of them personally :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...