Monday, March 6, 2017

Sewists give the best gifts!

Well hello there! Didn't plan on being gone so long, but no matter that now. My time away has been happily spent sewing but that's not what I want to talk about today. I want to talk about how grateful I am to be a part of such a giving community. Sewing friends are one of a kind and I'm always honored when I get to meet someone who I've talked with online in real life! It brings me so much joy!

Over the past few months, I've done some traveling around and got to spend time with said friends. Back in December, Madalynne had an Open Sew Day where people were able to come in and work on whatever projects they had or to learn how to make one of her bralette or undie patterns. While there, I got to reunite with my friends Jenese, Lauren and Michelle! Speaking of Michelle, she came in with the cutest rolling sewing machine case. Everyone was making googly eyes at it. Imagine my surprise when a couple of weeks later around Christmas time, I got a package with a rolling sewing machine case! I didn't see any note or anything but I did faintly remember her asking me for my address some time before that. I texted her and she fessed up to it. What a SWEET gesture. And the case is the BOMB. It has compartments for just about everything. I can't wait to put it to some travel use!



Also, in the gift bags from the Open Sew Day, we got all types of goodies!


Fast forward to the end of January, I was making my way to NY to do some service and I hit up Carolyn because we agreed next time I was in NY that I would let her know. We went to an amazing dinner at the Indian restaurant "Sapphire" in the city and then she told me that before I left to go all the way home, I could stop by her house to check out her Sewing Cave and her Fabric Collection... uh... YES! I got to see where all of the magic goes down and got a sneak preview of some garments that she hadn't yet blogged at the time. I ask her quite a few questions about different sewing techniques and tips and tricks and she was so kind and patient with me. She's my newest Auntie :-)

I started checking out the color coordinated walls of fabric around the room and she let me start pulling fabrics to take with me! It wasn't a free for all but she was MOOORREEE than gracious with what she let me get away with. Immensely gracious. What she did tell me, though, was that when I get to the same point, PASS IT ON. I'm definitely remembering that now and for the future. These are all the pieces I made it out with:

wool crepes in different colors

crepe knit

Vera Wang tweed. For my mom

Rayon

Denims

cotton border print

ITY knit


This last fabric is not from a sewing friend but it was a gift from my aunt! I will be trying to speed sew a Helga out of it... even though it goes against the fabric recommendation... idontcare! idontcare!
african wax print

I'm so grateful to be able to be connected to people all over the world through this passion we all have. The sewing community continues to be a huge inspiration to me while I navigate this new and loved skill! I hope to meet more of you in the future and that it is ME that is giving to YOU!

I did also buy some things as well over the past couple of months. Some Independent patterns and some labels from McCall's. I make mostly McCall or Vogue patterns so I only bought those off of their site. They are only one dollar a label and I'm excited to incorporate them in my garments alongside my labels.



That's all I have to say! Next time you see me, I'll be in a fly outfit! (hopefully! haha)

Be back soon!

xoxo,
Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :-D
I read each one and I do my best to respond to each of them personally :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...