Monday, January 27, 2014

High-Waist Pencil Skirt

Greetings :-)
So.. I bought a High-waist Pencil skirt tutorial from the INFAMOUS Mimi G. of Mimi G. Style and I couldn't wait to do it.
Out of all of the tutorials I purchased of hers, this one seemed like the easiest and it didn't require a bunch of notions.


So I used this fabric.
I got it from JoAnn's. It's a wool fabric.
I don't know all of the specifics of it. I should def right down the specs of my fabric lol

The pattern is self-drafted from your personal measurements.
I added 5/8" seam allowance because the wool I was using didn't have THAT much stretch and I'm glad I did.  If I make it again, I'll try a Ponte Roma so that I don't have to use seam allowance.

After cutting out the fabric and sewing it all up it looked like this on the inside.
I didn't like it so I cut off the visible interfacing, handstitched the waistband and the tail of the zipper down.
I was too chicken to cut it off lol







This was the skirt right after I made it.

I made a few tweaks after this because I didn't follow instructions correctly and the result was the picture at the beginning of this post.
I tried to take more pics the day I wore it but lighting was horrible
(truth be told I think I sabotaged the lighting on accident by messing with some settings on my camera :-(... but don't tell my cousin that lol)

All in all, I really love it.. especially since I made it lol
It's so multipurpose! I can wear it to a classy event, work, church or wherever. :-)

Things I've learned

1. Slow down and follow ALL of the directions.
I completely forget to peg the skirt at the bottom so when I tried to do it after sewing the skirt all the way up, it threw off my hip measurements a little so now it fits KINDA weird.
Noone will notice but me but that's not the point lol
2. How to properly use my zipper foot attachment
I had attached the foot on the wrong side of the foot and kept having to move my needle to compensate.
It wasn't until I was completely done putting in the zipper that I realized I should have attached it to the right side instead lol
3. How to properly attach buttons
When I originally attached the buttons they were all floppy and wouldn't stay flat. But then it hit me to sew more surface area BEHIND the button so that it would be taut to the skirt.
Thanks for reading! Tell me what you think!
See you in the next post :-)
xoxo, Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :-D
I read each one and I do my best to respond to each of them personally :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...