Monday, July 15, 2019

Easter 2019 Mommy & Me Looks | Simplicity 1716 & Simplicity 8688

Happy Monday, friends! Sorry I missed last week! I was turning 29 and didn't find my way to my laptop lol But I have quite a few posts lined up for the next couple of weeks so I promise I'm not disappearing like I did before haha.

Today I am here with a "Mommy & Me" look!

My whole family picks a color scheme every year for Ressurection Sunday, and this year it was an almost burnt orange color. I looked into my stash and found this floral fabric with the perfect shade of orange! I found a pattern, realized I would have some fabric left over and decided I would surprise my mom with a top to match me (she loves matching me LOL).


I'll start off with my dress. The pattern is Simplicity 8688 and I cut the biggest size on the pattern I had, which was a 14... annnnddddd it was too small lol


I'm thinking it had a bit to do with the fabric, but I also just didn't look at the finished garment measurements on the back of the envelope when I bought this pattern.


The fabric is a scuba knit, with stretch of course, but not alot of it. The pattern is designed more for an ITY knit so my version doesn't lay and flow exactly like it's supposed to. But I had already cut the pattern out before I realized that it was going to be too tight, so I had to forge ahead and figure out a gameplan on how to salvage the make before Ressurection Sunday.


Sidenote, this fabric was a gift from my sewing auntie, Carolyn. There wasn't a tag on it, but I saw Teameaka in the same fabric and she noted that she got it from Fabric.com.


To backtrack, how did I fix the sizing issue??? I added a 1-1.5 inch panel of fabric to both side seams. It was a little bit of a puzzle to figure out to do the ruching part with the lining on the inside, PLUS the panel, but I got it to work and the insides don't look too botched lol.


The only other modification I made was to add 2 inches to the length.


I really like the flutter sleeve detail but I know it would look so much better in a different fabric so I am a smidge disappointed.


The dress is pretty, but I don't see myself wearing it much. The scuba knit gave it a bit too much structure so I can't say I confidently feel great in it. 


On to Mommy's top. This pattern in Simplicity 1716 and it seems to be OOP. 


I cut the highest size on her pattern, and I needed to add side seam panels just like in my dress.


I much like her top in this fabric because the structure really makes all of the details really pop!


My mom really liked it and she rocked it very stylishly too, as usual!


Let me know what you think below! How do you feel about matching outfits?? Are you for it or anti? lol


See you either later this week or next week with a new post!
xoxo,
Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :-D
I read each one and I do my best to respond to each of them personally :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...