Monday, November 24, 2014

Another Leopard Vogue - 1314 and N&F Meetup!

Hello friends! It's been a couple of weeks but I finally have something to show for it lol. I've been traveling and moving sewing locations and trying to get a room all set up. I'll talk about that more in another post thought. A week or so ago, I hosted another meetup for the Needles&Fashion facebook group for the people in the DMV area so I HAD to make something to wear. I didn't HAVE to but I HAD to lol

I don't know when the weather decided to just be winter, but it's gotten ridiculous. I knew I wanted a long sleeve dress, knit fabric because I didn't want to have to deal with any darts and stuff, no extra notions, and I wanted it to be long. I was originally going to make McCalls 6886 and lengthen it but I cannot find it for the life of me. I had to find a quick alternative because of course I was making it the night before. This is Vogue 1314, a Tracy Reese design. (it really does pay to have a pattern stash ;-) )



The fabric is an abstract animal print jersey from Fabric Mart. I believe I ordered it off of one of those $1/yd sales they be having because I had 3 yards of it lol. I called this ANOTHER leopard Vogue because I made Vogue 1395 out of leopard fabric too.



I cut a straight size 12. I omitted the lining because 1. I didn't have time and 2. I don't have stretch lining in my fabric stash. (writes on purchase list) You may think that this does not look all the way like Vogue 1314 and you are right. Out of my rebellion for the instructions and my love for all things fast, I serged my side seams after doing all of the gathering work and pretty much serged off all of the gathering. The second side is still a LITTLE gathered but it doesn't look like the pattern envelope.



What's funny is, I pretty much ended up with McCalls 6886 anyway lol I seriously love this dress! I plan on making a couple more long sleeved, long, knit dresses for the winter. I'm just looking for some fabric that is a little more stable than the knits I have in my stash. I'm going for this look that Erica pulled off SO flawlessly.



I hemmed the sleeves and the dress by just folding together and serging to make it look like an added cuff/band. I did a narrow hem on the neck. Next time I make this, I will add a couple of inches to the sleeves so that I don't have cold wrists.


 These beautiful pictures were taken by my new friend Reggie. He's a commercial photographer in the NOVA area so if you want his contact information, shoot me an email! Don't they look great?! :-D



I feel like this a great opportunity to mention something that he is working on. He and another friend of mine are trying to organize the Help-Portrait campaign in this area. From the website :
"Help-Portrait is a global movement of photographers, hairstylists and makeup artists using their time, tools and expertise to give back to those in need."

He has set up a GoFundMe for people to donate so that they are able to rent the photography equipment and printers needed to have the event. There is more information about what HelpPortrait is on the GoFundMe site as well. Donate if you feel led!

I promise that wasn't planned but it seemed right lol ANYWAYYYY, I think that is all I have to say about the dress. I will leave you with some pictures from the N&F meetup!

We ate The Melting Pot in Columbia, MD and we did a gift swap and pattern swap! The pics below showcase some of the gifts that were made/given :-D
















My next post will be about my trip to Puerto Rico! Talk to you soon!

xoxo, Tasha

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous11/25/2014

    What a lovely post - both you and the dress look FAB. Your meet up looks really fun - All the outfits look great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous dress … relly shows off your figure - great figure btw ;) - Yay to the rebellion for the instructions !

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great and your body is banging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great girl! Love the pictures, the hair, dress, everything is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great dress :-) - it really exxagerates all the right places :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the above comments: great figure & great dress. The meet up looked fun. SN: I love the sista's one armed garment - great print.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11/26/2014

    NIce dress. Looks comfe and you're right: we had a crazy twist in weather. Meet up looked like it was fun. I'm in a couple of meetups and tons of sewing groups on fb. For some reason, I noticed about 3 months ago (maybe even little further back), I was no longer in N&F (nice group). :-). Hair looks nice. I finally stopped my last perm in July and started from scratch about 3 weeks ago!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Visiting from Visible Monday. I am always looking for caribbean sisters and will be back to read more. . . I Love the dress and the HAIR!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute dress, I tried learning how to sew as a teenager but I was a total disaster at it. I always appreciate those who can. It's always lovely to see a group of women enjoying a lovely evening out. Found you on the linkup on Visible Mondays.
    http://ahhhsoneo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :-D
I read each one and I do my best to respond to each of them personally :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...