Tuesday, July 23, 2019

The pants that didn't want to be! | Yellow McCall's 7726

You ever have a project that you're so excited to do and everything seems to be going well but then all of sudden, everything just starts going WRONG?! Welcome to my journey with these yellow pants lol


This is McCall's 7726, View B. I cut the size 12. The only modifications I made was to add 2 inches to the length of the pants.


Before I get into the drama, this fabric is a poplin that I picked up on my trip to Italy last year. I got it from a shop called Tessuti e Scampoli in Milan. It wasn't even something I picked out. It caught the eye of my friend and she TOLD me that I HAD to buy it lol. I was a little skeptical, but she wasn't wrong. It's a great color and the quality of it felt really good.


I had pretty limited time to make these pants because I wanted them for a trip I was taking to NewYork, so instead of trying to decipher the instructions, I used Brittany J Jones tutorial on YouTube and the process went MUCH faster. 


Everything was going great until I got to the part about the fly front. I just couldn't get the stitching right and I had to rip it out multiple times. On the last time, I ended up cutting a HOLE right into the front of the pants with my seam reaper! I couldn't believe it and I was so distraught! I put the pants down and I just went to bed.

The next day, I collected my thoughts and after asking around about possible solutions, I ended up finding some "Fabric Mending Tape" at Walmart and decided to use that to fix the hole. It wasn't a perfect fix but it would have to do.


What's funny is that I wasn't planning on making the belt carriers or tie for the pants, but after creating that hole, it was no longer an option: I had to make them. Luckily I had JUST enough fabric left in scraps to create the belt *praise hands emoji*.


I topstitched both the belt carries and the fabric belt to give them a more polished looked. I also did it because I didn't want to have to slipstitch the fabric belt closed lol I was trying to avoid as much hand-sewing as possible.


After only having left to sew on the hook and eye, I packed up my pants and did that hand-sewing when I got to the city.


All's well that ends well right??... wrong lol. The day I decided to wear these pants, maybe I ate too much, maybe I was just DOING too much, but I put ANOTHER hole in the pants at on the points that were supposed to be reinforced. Maybe I didn't do a good enough job?? I'm not sure, but these pants are sitting in my sewing room right now waiting on this next hole repair smh. 


It's like, I just want to be done with them! LOL They were annoying to make but they look so freaking good! hahaha I want to be mad at them but they're like a dog giving me puppy eyes or Sour patch kids (first they're sour, then they're sweet). 

When I fix these, they're all I'm going to wear LOL jk but I do have a lot of things in my closet that they coordinate with, so keep an eye on my Instagram to see the different ways I style them. 



I haven't made pants in a WHILE (about 3.5 years) so it was nice getting my feet back in the water. I will be making this pattern again but next time I'm doing the wide-legged view.


Give me some feedback! What do you all think about these pants? They're def a favorite in the sewing community and I can see why!

See you soon!
xoxo,
Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :-D
I read each one and I do my best to respond to each of them personally :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...