So, UPDATE: I did finish all 5 unselfish UFO's before I started working on anything for myself! HOLLA! I don't have pics of the jeans for mom or the curtains for the lovely lady but I have pics of the blanket and the shirt and dress I made for my mother!
|the baby LOVED the blanket|
|First time using my walking foot. I think I did pretty good. The pic is taken from the side so some of them seem like they don't match... they do lol|
|what a nice narrow hem|
|Self-drafted. The skirt fabric is heavy so the dress gets weighed down on a hanger. Now she can be twinsies with me!!|
The first thing I have to share for 2015 is a UFO that I had from AUGUST when I was supposed to be participating in this blogger hop for the Needles&Fashion group....Yea, never happened smh. Fortunately for me, I got a kick in the butt when sewcialists said the theme for January was dots! I think my shirt looks kind of cow-y but I don't actually think it's cow fabric lol. It looks like dots to me. Albeit wonky dots, but dots nonetheless! Just let me be great lol
This top is Simplicity 1364, a re-released vintage pattern from Simplicity. I cut a size 12 in the bust area and graded down to a size 10 in the waist and below.
The fabric is this VERY nice feeling silk of some sort. I have no idea what kind of silk but I know that it is. It feels very luxurious. It's from Hancock's and I got it before I realized that I should be recording what kind of fabric I buy lol I only had 1 yard of it. but they way that they cut it, I had less than that smh. I managed to squeeze the pieces out though.
I managed to get a couple new techniques in making this top. I learned how to do a proper lapped zipper and it came out wonderfully. I attribute that to the fabric glue stick that I had sitting in my supplies but have been too scared to use... for MONTHS. It did the job, though, and I'm no longer scared of it lol.
I also finally did bias-bound armholes. I used pink bias tape that I had in my stash because I didn't feel like buying anything and between the pink and red, I figured pink would show through less. Fortunately it doesn't show through at all. They didn't come out so great though. I had a LOT of puckering. I don't know if I needed to clip around the armholes or what but I'll have to figure it out for next time. Any tips??
I french-seamed the side seams because the fabric was so delicate. Anyway, this shirt is a wadder for me.lol Let me count the ways....
1. It's too short. Every time I lift my arms at all, the top rises up. Very annoying.
2. The bust point is wayy to high. And I believe that is the reason that there is excess fabric above my bust. Which in turn is also causing slight gape-age.
3. The armholes are wayyyy to high. They were just irritating my underarm. Which in turn was irritating me.
4. There is a pool of fabric at the lower back. Obviously I needed some type of swayback adjustment. But I wasn't going back to do that after perfectly inserting that lapped zipper. Nope. Not me.
I'm probably never going to where this shirt again. It's very unfortunate for me because I think I did such a good job on it construction-wise lool. You win some, you lose some. I will be gifting this to someone. Don't know who yet though.
Well my next few posts will hopefully turn into keepers lol I have a UFO from November that I pretty much finished but I don't like it. And I refuse for it to become a wadder so I already know what I need to do to fix it. That should be done soon! I also cut out some fabric to make some ginger jeans this weekend so hopefully that doesn't turn into a fail lool Wish me luck!