Monday, September 24, 2018

Not sure if I follow directions well | Handkerchief Dress

Hello again! This year, I have probably sewn fewer garments than I have any other year of blogging. It's crazy how different and busy life gets as we get older, that it seems like the things we used to be enamored with don't fit well into our ever-evolving lives. I really have to squeeze in time to sew these days, so I'm pretty proud that I was able to get a few things sewn this summer.


I saw this picture on Mimi G's Instagram back in July and fell in love! And I saw that she had made a free tutorial on it so I decided one of the lighter knits in my staff would be set aside for this cute handkerchief dress!

I followed the tutorial, making sure to add a few inches in length to my skirt and was hoping to be done in about an hour.... Imagine my surprise when I tried on the dress and it was literally falling off of me hahaha. The tank top I used to trace didn't have enough negative ease, so that threw off the measurements of the entire garment.


To get the damage under control, I took in the sides of the dress, all the way down the skirt in on each side about 1.5". So 3 inches in total. I also ended up doubling over the bodice part of the dress so that it is about half the length (and gives a bit of coverage over my bust in case the stretch of the fabric caused it to be a little see-through). I also added elastic inside of the doubled bodice.


The fabric is labeled as an "Off-white/Dark Navy/Muted Pink Abstract Block Print Rayon /Lycra". I got it January of 2016 from Fabric Mart for 2.50/yd. I love how flowy it is and the print is so interesting all on it's on. That was one of the reasons I wanted to use it for such a simple silhouette.


That's about all on this piece. I was happy to be able to save it from the bin LOL It's a really cute, throw on, summer dress!


Let me know what you think about it down in the comments! Also, let me know the oldest piece of fabric you still have chilling in your stash! Do you ever feel guilty for letting it sit for so long?? Talk to me!


Be back soon!
xoxo,
Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :-D
I read each one and I do my best to respond to each of them personally :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...